Archive for category Population & Human Rights
* Large Gains in Life Expectancy People everywhere are living longer, according to the “World Health Statistics 2014”. Read the press release on the “World Health Statistics 2014”. World Health Statistics 2014. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health Worldwide, 3.3 million deaths in 2012 were due to harmful use of alcohol, says a new report launched by WHO. Alcohol consumption also increases people’s risk of developing more than 200 diseases and, in addition, harmful drinking can lead to violence and injuries. Read the press release on the global alcohol report. Global status report on alcohol and health 2014. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Health for the World’s Adolescents WHO’s “Health for the world’s adolescents” report reveals that depression is the predominant cause of illness and disability for both boys and girls aged 10 to 19 years. The top 3 causes of adolescent deaths globally are road traffic injuries, HIV/AIDS, and suicide. Read the press release on adolescent health. Read the “Health for the world’s adolescents” report.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued the 2014 report on climate change. The report, titled Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability states the effects of climate change are already occurring on all continents and across the oceans and the world is not ready for the impacts of climate change. Download the entire report from here.
* First EU Anti-Corruption Report The European Commission published the first ever EU Anti-Corruption Report. The EU Anti-Corruption Report covers all 28 EU Member States. Please find more here and here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Market According to the latest data released by UNCTAD, the ICT goods such as mobile phones, smartphones, laptops, tablets, integrated circuits and other components at 11 per cent of world merchandise trade and among the top products traded globally – exceeding trade in agricultural products (9.2 per cent) and motor vehicles (7.2 per cent). Please follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * 2014 World Press Freedom Index Reports Without Borders published the 2014 World Press Freedom Index, the Index spotlights the negative impact of conflicts on freedom of information and its protagonists. Please find more about Reports Without Borders and World Press Freedom Index.
* Certificate of Origin Verification Website ICC World Chambers Federation (WCF) has launched the Certificate of Origin (CO) verification website to reinforce the authenticity of the CO verification process. Check here and here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Rise in Global Tourism in 2013 – UNTWO According to a new UNWTO report, despite global economic challenges, international tourism in 2013 was well above expectations, with an additional 52 million people travelling the world last year. Please follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Global Employment Trends 2014 The ILO study Global Employment Trends 2014 offers the latest global and regional information and projections on several indicators of the labour market, including employment, unemployment, working poverty and vulnerable employment. Please find more following the link.
* Oxfam’s New Global Food Table Oxfam published an index which compares the way the food is produced and distributed around the world. European countries occupy the entire top 20 bar one – Australia ties in 8th place – while the US, Japan, New Zealand, Brazil and Canada all fall outside. African countries occupy the bottom 30 places in the table except for four – Laos, Bangladesh, Pakistan and India are there too. See more at Good Enough to Eat, Oxfam Media Briefing. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * South Korea & India Agree To Upgrade FTA, Revise DTA South Korea and India agreed to upgrade their comprehensive economic partnership agreement (CEPA) and put into effect the revised double taxation agreement (DTA) between the two countries as soon as possible. Check here for more.
* ILO’s Key Indicators of the Labour Market (KILM) ILO released the latest edition of KILM – an online reference tool offering data and analysis on the world’s labour market – includes information about the dynamics of job losses and job creation in 70 developed and emerging economies. Check the Press Release. Download the Key Indicators of the Labour Market (KILM) – 8th edition. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * World Intellectual Property Indicators – 2013 Edition WIPO published the World Intellectual Property Indicators 2013 which provides a wide range of indicators covering different areas of intellectual property. Download the full report here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Uzbekistan Joins CIS Free Trade Zone Uzbekistan has ratified a treaty which makes Uzbekistan the ninth member of the free trade area of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). Aside from Uzbekistan, the free trade agreement (FTA) includes Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, and Tajikistan. Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan have signed but not yet ratified the agreement. Please find more here.
* Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2013 Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2013 has been published by Transparency International. Please check the press release here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Australia and South Korea Conclude Trade Talks Australia has concluded negotiations with South Korea for a free trade agreement. Please follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Yemen Accedes To WTO Yemen became a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO) on December 04, 2013. Click here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Asian Countries top OECD’s Latest PISA Survey Asian countries outperform the rest of the world in the OECD’s latest PISA survey. PISA survey evaluates the knowledge and skills of the world’s 15-year-olds Check here for details.
* Israel & Columbia Signed FTA 10 June 2013, Jerusalem Israel and Columbia signed a free trade agreement (FTA). Read more here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * New EU Open Data Rules 13 June 2013, Brussels The EU’s Parliament adopted the updated EU rules on the re-use of public sector information. The aim of the rules is to make it easier for businesses to obtain access and permission to re-use government-held information. Check here for more. Open Data website. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Investor Education Gateway 4 June 2013, Madrid IOSCO revealed its new website feature – the Investor Education Gateway. This online tool is an education initiative and aims to enhance the sharing of investor education information. Check here the new initiative. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * A Common European Asylum System 12 June 2013, Strasbourg EU adopted updated rules on asylum applications; these include common procedures, the creation of a basic set or rights for asylum seekers arriving in the EU and a proposal to stop transfers to member states struggling to cope with the number of asylum seekers and related responsibilities. Kindle read the press release here. DG Home Affairs website.