Archive for category European Union Issues
* First EU Anti-Corruption Report The European Commission published the first ever EU Anti-Corruption Report. The EU Anti-Corruption Report covers all 28 EU Member States. Please find more here and here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Market According to the latest data released by UNCTAD, the ICT goods such as mobile phones, smartphones, laptops, tablets, integrated circuits and other components at 11 per cent of world merchandise trade and among the top products traded globally – exceeding trade in agricultural products (9.2 per cent) and motor vehicles (7.2 per cent). Please follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * 2014 World Press Freedom Index Reports Without Borders published the 2014 World Press Freedom Index, the Index spotlights the negative impact of conflicts on freedom of information and its protagonists. Please find more about Reports Without Borders and World Press Freedom Index.
* EU-Turkey: Ready to Sign Readmission Agreement EU and Turkey will resume the accession negotiations after the opening of a new negotiating chapter last month. Check here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * EU Advances Trade Relationships with Moldova, Armenia and Georgia The EU has recently concluded negotiations for a Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA) with Moldova, Armenia and Georgia. Check here and here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * EU – Bilateral Trade and Investment Agreements Kindly find the latest news about the EU’s bilateral trade and investment agreements negotiations here.
* ICC-Ifo World Economic Survey International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and Ifo published the latest Ifo World Economic Survey. Kindly find the main findings about the current economic situation and expectations following the link. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * HEInnovate – Entrepreneurial Online Tool The European Commission and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) launched an online self-assessment tool for universities to measure how entrepreneurial they are. HEInnovate enables institutions to assess their performance in different areas. Check here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard The European Commission (DG Research and Innovation and Joint Research Centre) published the 2013 Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard. On first place is situated Volkswagen (Germany) and second place in the ranking goes to Samsung Electronics (South Korea). Other companies in the top-10 include five based in the US (Microsoft, Intel, Merck, Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer), two in Switzerland (Roche and Novartis) and one in Japan (Toyota). Check the 2013 ranking here and the press release here.
* Latvia – OECD Membership The 34 OECD Members have approved a Roadmap to accession for Latvia. Check here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Switzerland Signs Multilateral Convention on Tax Matters Switzerland has become the 58th country to sign the Multilateral Convention on Mutual Administrative Assistance in Tax Matters. Follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Isle Of Man First To Sign UK FATCA-Style Agreement The Isle of Man signed an agreement with the United Kingdom extending the automatic disclosure of tax information. Read more here.
15 October, Luxembourg ECOFIN approved legislation setting up the Single Supervisory Mechanism and discuss steps towards to Banking Union. Please following the link for more details.
* EU – Barriers Restricting Access to Regulated Professions The European Commission announced the start of an evaluation of national regulations on access to professions across Europe. Check here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * EU & Arab Maghreb Union The first informal political dialogue between countries of the Arab Maghreb Union (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania and Libya) and the EU to discuss developments in the region has been hold . Read more following the link.
* Chile and Thailand – FTA Chile and Thailand have closed a free trade agreement which they will sign on October 4. Check for more here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * EU Concerns about Russian Pressure on Eastern Partnership Countries The European Parliament has adopted a resolution that deplores different types of pressure being exercised by Russia on the EU’s Eastern neighbours. See more following the link. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Guernsey Signed TIEAs with Switzerland and with Hungary Guernsey signed Tax Information Exchange Agreements (TIEAs) with Switzerland and with Hungary. Follow the link for more.
Armenia will join to the Customs Union led by Russia and block its chances of signing an agreement with the European Union. The EU respects the decision on joining the Customs but ‘two systems are incompatible” . Russia considers it a diplomatic victory. Please follow the link for more.