* The Canada-ASEAN Business Council (CABC)
The Canada-ASEAN Business Council (CABC) has been created to promote and increase trade and investment for both sides.
The initiative is a part of the 2012-2015 ASEAN-Canada Workplan.
* Singapore DTAs with Italy & Bahrain
The bilateral double taxation agreement (DTA) between Singapore and Italy (signed on May 24, 2011) entered into force on August 30, 2012, while the DTA between Singapore and Bahrain (signed on October 14, 2009) will enter into force on September 29, 2012.
* Serious Delays in Establishing a Pan-European Road Toll Payment System
An European Commission’s report warns that the foreseen target date of 8 October 2012 for EETS availability to heavy duty vehicles will not be met.
The European Electronic Toll Service (EETS) ensures interoperability of road toll systems throughout the European Union (EU) with one subscription contract with one service provider and one on-board unit.
More here and here.
5 September 2012
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) published ISO 12931:2012, Performance criteria for authentication solutions used to combat counterfeiting of material goods.
The new standard will increase consumer confidence, make supply chains more secure and help public authorities to create and implement preventive, deterrent and punitive policies.
Please check here.
* Switzerland Adopts Several Maritime Conventions
Switzerland adopted four conventions developed by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) to enhance the protection of the marine environment.
Switzerland has adopted the next conventions:
– Annex VI of the MARPOL Convention
– the 2001 International Convention on Civil Liability for Bunker Oil Pollution Damage
– the 2004 International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships’ Ballast Water and Sediments
– and the 2011 International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships
* India & Mauritius Negotiate New DTA
India and Mauritius have completed a further round of negotiations towards a new Double Tax Agreement (DTA).
* Andorra Extends TIEA Network
Andorra approved the signature of new Tax Information Exchange Agreements (TIEA) with the Czech Republic and South Korea.
* WTO Statistics Database Updated
The World Trade Organization (WTO) updated its 2011 database on world merchandise trade.
Please check the Statistics Database here.
* New WTO Members: Russia and Vanuatu
On 22 August 2012, Russia becomes the 156th WTO member and Vanuatu will join the WTO on 24 August as its 157th member.