The 18 countries of Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA) hope to unified their customs by 2015 in a full free trade agreement. The Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA) is a pan-Arab free trade area that came into existence in 1997. It was founded by 14 countries (Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, and the United Arab Emirates). Four more countries joined the trade area later: Algeria, Jordan, Palestine and Yemen. Please follow the link for more.
* WTO – New Trade Monitoring Database The World Trade Organization (WTO) has launched new trade monitoring database provides detailed information on trade measures implemented by WTO members and observers. Read more following the link. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * UAE Rejoined WTO The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has rejoined the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) after 26 years of having left the entity Check here.
* SESAR – Single European Sky European Commission adopted a regulation establishing governance and incentive mechanisms to facilitate the effective and timely deployment of SESAR. SESAR is the EU’s project that aims at modernising the Air Traffic Management (ATM) system. Please read more here and here. You can find more about SESAR here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * International Code of Direct Selling ICC released the revised International Code of Direct Selling which was developed in close co-operation with the World Federation of Direct Selling Associations (WFDSA). Follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * WTO Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA) Liechtenstein became the first WTO member to ratify the amended version of the WTO Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA). Read more here.
* EU & Morocco to Start DCFTA Talks 22 April 2013, Brussels The EU and Morocco started the first round of negotiations for an EU-Morocco Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA). Check here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * IOSCO – Report on Technological Challenges to Market Surveillance 22 April 2013, Madrid (Spain) The Board of the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) published today a final report on Technological Challenges to Effective Market Surveillance: Issues and Regulatory Tools. Read the report here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * ISO’s 2012 Annual Report The ISO’s 2012 Annual Report examines the organization’s activities in the field of business and economy standards. Discover ISO’s Annual Report 2012 here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * New ISO for Financial Services ISO/ IEC published a new standard: ISO/IEC TR 27015:2012, Information technology – Security techniques – Information security management guidelines for financial services – guidance for organizations providing financial services. Read more here.
* Uniform Rules for Bank Payment Obligation The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) launched the Uniform Rules for Bank Payment Obligation (URBPO), a standard in supply chain finance. Please check here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Global Risks – Trade Finance 2013 The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) issued the Global Risks – Trade Finance 2013. The report provides reviews on the risks in trade finance from the global trade finance industry’s perspective. Check the press release. Download a copy of Global Risks – Trade Finance 2013.
* WB – Sector Results Profile The World Bank published some examples of results of its programs in different sectors, please check bellow: Environment: Sector Results Profile Information and Communication Technologies: Results Profile Oceans: Sector Results Profile Climate Change: Sector Results Profile Water Resources Management: Sector Results Profile Water Supply and Sanitation: Sector Results Profile ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * BIS – Basel III Implementation The Bank for International Settlements on progress in adoption of the Basel III regulatory reforms Please check the press release and the report. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * China and Iceland Sign Free Trade Agreement China and Iceland signed a free trade agreement. Iceland is first in Europe to sign free trade pact with China. For further information please check here and here.
* Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) The Parliamentary Assembly – Union for the Mediterranean relaunched its cooperation objectives in the fields of infrastructure, education and training. Read more here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Trade Defense Instruments The European Commission is studying to improve the trade defense operations through anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties and expect that its proposals to become law next year. Cheek here for more.
——————————————————————————————————————————————–—* EU – Multinational Tax Info Exchange The EU’s six biggest members, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Poland have agreed to develop and pilot a major new multilateral tax information exchange program. Kindly follow the link.
* USTR – Reports on Barriers to Trade The Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) publishes various Reports on Barriers to Trade: Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT Report) Sanitary and Phytosanitary Barriers to Trade (SPS Report) 2013 National Trade Estimate Report on Foreign Trade Barriers ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * UN – Global Arms Trade Treaty Approved The United Nations General Assembly has approved a global arms trade treaty to regulate the international trade in conventional arms. Please find more about the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) following the link. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * OECD – Global Economy Outlook OECD published its latest Interim Economic Assessment. Check here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * US – West African States to Start TIFA Negotiations The United States is exploring a trade and investment framework agreement (TIFA) with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). The ECOWAS member states are Sierra Leone, Senegal and Cape Verde. Read more about it here.