* Emissions Trading Scheme for Aviation The Presidency of the Council and representatives of the European Parliament have agreed on a draft regulation amending the EU Emissions trading scheme (ETS) directive (2003/87/EC). Read more here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * European Maritime Safety Agency The Council and European Parliament reached a compromise on funding the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) in response to marine pollution caused by ships and oil and gas installations. Check here for more.
* Barbados and US Started FATCA Talks Barbados and US have agreed to start negotiations with respect to an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) that will give effect in Barbados to the provisions of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). See more about here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Guernsey & Seychelles Sign DTA Guernsey and Seychelles signed a double taxation agreement (DTA) between their countries. See more details here.
* First EU Anti-Corruption Report The European Commission published the first ever EU Anti-Corruption Report. The EU Anti-Corruption Report covers all 28 EU Member States. Please find more here and here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Market According to the latest data released by UNCTAD, the ICT goods such as mobile phones, smartphones, laptops, tablets, integrated circuits and other components at 11 per cent of world merchandise trade and among the top products traded globally – exceeding trade in agricultural products (9.2 per cent) and motor vehicles (7.2 per cent). Please follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * 2014 World Press Freedom Index Reports Without Borders published the 2014 World Press Freedom Index, the Index spotlights the negative impact of conflicts on freedom of information and its protagonists. Please find more about Reports Without Borders and World Press Freedom Index.
The Tax Justice Network (TJN) published the Financial Secrecy Index – 2013 Results. The Tax Justice Network (TJN) is an advocacy group consisting of a coalition of researchers and activists with a shared concern about what they argue are the harmful impacts of tax avoidance, tax competition and tax havens. Please find the index here. Read more about the Tax Justice Network (TJN) and Financial Secrecy Index.
* Certificate of Origin Verification Website ICC World Chambers Federation (WCF) has launched the Certificate of Origin (CO) verification website to reinforce the authenticity of the CO verification process. Check here and here for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Rise in Global Tourism in 2013 – UNTWO According to a new UNWTO report, despite global economic challenges, international tourism in 2013 was well above expectations, with an additional 52 million people travelling the world last year. Please follow the link for more. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Global Employment Trends 2014 The ILO study Global Employment Trends 2014 offers the latest global and regional information and projections on several indicators of the labour market, including employment, unemployment, working poverty and vulnerable employment. Please find more following the link.
* Oxfam’s New Global Food Table Oxfam published an index which compares the way the food is produced and distributed around the world. European countries occupy the entire top 20 bar one – Australia ties in 8th place – while the US, Japan, New Zealand, Brazil and Canada all fall outside. African countries occupy the bottom 30 places in the table except for four – Laos, Bangladesh, Pakistan and India are there too. See more at Good Enough to Eat, Oxfam Media Briefing. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * South Korea & India Agree To Upgrade FTA, Revise DTA South Korea and India agreed to upgrade their comprehensive economic partnership agreement (CEPA) and put into effect the revised double taxation agreement (DTA) between the two countries as soon as possible. Check here for more.
* ILO’s Key Indicators of the Labour Market (KILM) ILO released the latest edition of KILM – an online reference tool offering data and analysis on the world’s labour market – includes information about the dynamics of job losses and job creation in 70 developed and emerging economies. Check the Press Release. Download the Key Indicators of the Labour Market (KILM) – 8th edition. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * World Intellectual Property Indicators – 2013 Edition WIPO published the World Intellectual Property Indicators 2013 which provides a wide range of indicators covering different areas of intellectual property. Download the full report here. ——————————————————————————————————————————————–— * Uzbekistan Joins CIS Free Trade Zone Uzbekistan has ratified a treaty which makes Uzbekistan the ninth member of the free trade area of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). Aside from Uzbekistan, the free trade agreement (FTA) includes Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, and Tajikistan. Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan have signed but not yet ratified the agreement. Please find more here.